সোমবার, ২ এপ্রিল, ২০১২

David Trinko: Facebook and basketball help make the connection

:
ONLY ON LIMAOHIO.COM
Check out David Trinko's blog, ?Trinko thinks so,? on LimaOhio.com. Topics this week included:
? Comparing with the Supreme Court justices
? The most important court case of our lifetimes

My college buddies and I watched a basketball game together last weekend in my living room.

We traded witty comments, insightful analysis and good old-fashioned school pride as our alma mater, Ohio University, played in the NCAA men's basketball tournament's Sweet 16 against North Carolina.

If you asked my wife, I watched the game alone in my living room, occasionally looking at my tablet computer during commercials. In my mind, I was in a bar in Athens watching the game. I sat next to friends scattered across the country, sharing ideas with pals across Ohio and in Los Angeles, Savannah, Ga., and Washington, D.C., thanks to Facebook:

?If the refs weren't against us, we'd be in the Elite Eight right now,? wrote a technical writer in Chicago.

?They said we didn't have a chance. We didn't win, but we sure proved them wrong. And we'll only be better next year,? typed a lawyer classmate in Pittsburgh.

??Stand Up and Cheer' anyway. Sweet 16 and a football bowl win in two and a half months makes me proud to be a Bobcat,? summarized an IRS employee in Cincinnati.

Facebook's getting a bad rap in some circles these days, as an example of a society too willing to share too much information. People are neglecting the here and now for what funny picture or video might be online, some argue.

For two hours on a Friday night, though, it became a central hub to bring Bobcats back together even though fate and fortunes spread us across the country.

It was quite a game to share on the social network too. The experts assumed North Carolina would crush our Bobcats. Instead, Ohio pushed North Carolina to overtime before falling. As anyone in a mid-major conference will tell you, it's exciting to see your alma mater dance toe-to-toe with a legitimate basketball power before a live, national audience.

While the game part of it was pretty cool, the Facebook part was even cooler to me. I'm friends on Facebook with 55 classmates, and I'd bet I saw an update from nearly all of them that night.

I already know the power of the world's most popular website. I just think about how much I know about these college friends. In the years immediately following graduation, many of us lost touch. After their first jobs, I had no idea where they lived. Now I know where they're working, what they do, what matters in their lives.

I know the same types of things I knew about them when we were students together, toiling long hours together at the student newspaper and unwinding at many of the uptown establishments in Athens.

There aren't many places in life where you can keep up with college drinking buddies, former bosses and your parish priest. But Facebook's one of them. As long as you're smart about what you share, it has an amazing ability to keep people in touch.

It sure beats trying to get them all into your living room to watch a basketball game.

You can comment on this column at www.LimaOhio.com.

jeff garcia big east jesse james pearl harbor day discovery channel lea michele michael buble

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন